Kenwood House is a magnificent neoclassical mansion/villa that is home to an
internationally acclaimed collection of works of art (contains works from the
likes of William Larkin, Van Dyck, Lel, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Turner, Gainsborough
Kenwood House and its collections of art were bequeathed to the country in 1927
by Edward Guinness, 1st Earl of Iveagh, upon his death and in 1928 was opened up
to the general public. The rooms of this historic house have recently been
re-presented to enhance the collection and to add to the sense of grace and
luxury, and are now available for exclusive hire. Kenwood House is situated
within magnificent and extensive grounds which includes a lake and extend out to
Hampstead Heath and Parliament Hill to the south, making for a great stroll on a
summers day. Popular with bird watchers thanks to the wildlife that makes it
home within the grounds.
The original 17th century construction was brick but the house was remodelled
from 1764 until 1773 by Robert Adam for William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield
(who bought the house in 1754). Elements of the house have been added over the
years such as the orangery in 1700 and additional wings from 1793 to 1796.
Today the estate is under the care of English Heritage who have continue to
improve the facilities and house itself, in many cases restoring the original
look to many parts of the interior.
To the rear of Kenwood is a cafeteria with its own gardens where you can enjoy a
snack or meal. Next door to the restaurant is the visitor information centre
along with a shop selling ornaments and plants.
Apr - Sep: 10am - 5.30pm
Oct: 10am - 5pm
Nov - Mar: 10am - 4pm
24 - 26 Dec & 1 Jan & 1 - 2pm throughout year Closed
Wed and Fri the house opens at 10.30am
Park stays open late