London Greenhouse ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, KEW
Phone: 020 8332 5655
nearest train station:
Kew Bridge 0.4 miles (0.6 km)
Kew Gardens 0.5 miles (0.8 km)
buses: 65, 391
The Royal Botanic Gardens are slightly away from the main tourist attractions in London. Located just on the south side of the River Thames on the Western side of London close to Richmond and Kew Bridge. This hasn't prevented it from being one of the capitals most popular attractions with some 1.5 million visitors each year.
The Gardens has a mission policy of helping the environment by helping to achieve a better understanding of the plant and fungal kingdoms which forms- the basis of all life on earth. This work involves sharing the Gardens research and findings with the wider community. Partly funded by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), public donations and admission fees.
Kew Gardens offers the visitor over 300 acres (120 hectares) of landscaped grounds, nearly 50 separate exhibits (including two art galleries) which together take several hours to view, houses 40,000 varieties of plants and is a world heritage listed site. Each exhibit has its own history and unique quality and many date back to the 19th century. For example The Temperate House, constructed between 1860 and 1899, on the south side is the world's largest ornamental glasshouse and largest Victorian glasshouse. Here a large collection of subtropical plants is housed. In recent years an ice rank has been constructed here each Christmas.
On the east side of the gardens is a man made lake surrounded by moisture-loving shrubs and ornamental waterfowl.
There is also an ongoing diary of ever changing events. As well as the exhibits there are two shopping areas and four restaurants in the Gardens.
The history of the Gardens goes back several centuries to a time when Kew Gardens was two separate estates, Kew Estate and Richmond Estate (the reason why its called Gardens plural), where members of the Royal family had residences, thus giving the Royal tag.
In 1751 Prince Frederick widow, Augusta, created a small botanic garden in what was then Kew Park. Several buildings were added by architect William Chambers, one of which was the Chinese Pagoda which still remains today. King Gerorge III took ownership of Richmond Park in 1760 and the Kew estate in 1772 and the Gardens grew greatly from this point until the Kings Death in1820. In 1840 the Gardens were given to the state (the people) and became a national Garden. while land owned by the Royal family that surrounded the gardens was also donated increasing the size of Gardens to 200 acres. Over the coming years exhibits and buildings were continually added and constructed. By 1902, thanks to further contributions of land, the Gardens reached its current size of 300 acres.
Opening Times -
November - January 9.30am till 3.45pm
February - March 9.30am till 5pm
April - August 9.30am till 6pm (7pm weekends and Bank Holidays)
September - October 9.30am till 5.30pm
Hotels near Kew Gardens/Royal Botanic Gardens
0.4 miles (0.6 km) 0.5 miles (0.8 km) 0.7 miles (1.1 km) 0.8 miles (1.3 km) 1.0 miles (1.6 km) 1.2 miles (1.9 km) 1.4 miles (2.3 km) 1.5 miles (2.4 km) 1.7 miles (2.7 km) 1.9 miles (3.1 km) 2.0 miles (3.2 km) 2.1 miles (3.4 km) 2.2 miles (3.5 km) 2.3 miles (3.7 km) 2.3 miles (3.7 km)