Marble Arch is located at the top of Park Lane.
The name is now used for the whole
gyratory system at this point which marks the intersection of
Bayswater Road, Oxford Street, Park Lane and Edgware Road. However Marble Arch
itself is the while Carrara
Marble Structure that stands in the centre of the island at the centre of the
gyratory system. Designed by John Nash in 1828 as the gateway to Buckingham
Palace it was erected at the bottom of the mall. The design was based around the
triumphal arch of Constantine in Rome. Incredibly was too narrow to allow the
royal stage coach to pass through and was moved its present location in 1851
when Buckingham Place was enlarged and improved by Edward Blore. When
first moved the Arch was the entrance to Hyde Park but since 1908 it has simply
stood in its own grounds, an island in effect, as a popular tourist attraction. Though it looks quite
small at first sight it was actually used as a police station with 3 small rooms
till 1950. The Arch is blocked off from the surrounding traffic though it is
used on rare occasions for processions. The road running through it is called Tyburn Way.